‘Sally Denver Matthews’, a humorous one-woman show written and performed by Gilly O’Shea on the anxieties of being a first-time mum, is taking place in Smock Alley Theatre from January 2nd to January 5th. It’s all part of First Fortnight 2019, Europe’s first mental health arts festival.
It’s hoped Sally’s story will prompt conversations about postnatal stress, anxiety and depression so, it only seems fitting that this sleep-deprived mother is introducing ‘BYOB matinees.’ This means you can bring your own baby (gone are the days when BYOB meant booze, beer, bottle…) and no one will mind if your baby cries (they’re meant to) or makes other noises (they do that too). This show is not for your baby (they won’t understand it, it’s sophisticated), it’s for you, the parents. And if you don’t have a baby, you’ll still love the show. Promise.
• 03 January @ 14:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin (BYOB – Bring Your Own Baby)
• 03 January @ 19:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin
• 04 January @ 14:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin (BYOB)
• 04 January @ 19:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin
• 05 January @ 14:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin (BYOB)
• 05 January @ 19:30 Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin (BYOB)
• 11 January @ 14.30 Europe Direct Information Centre, Clones Library Co. Monaghan (followed by Q&A)
• 22 January @ 10.30 dlr Lexicon Studio, Haige Terrace, Dun Laoghaire (followed by post show discussion and Q&A with Dr Yvonne Quinn, Senior Clinical Psychologist)
• 22 January @ 19.30 dlr Lexicon Studio, Haige Terrace, Dun Laoghaire (followed by post show discussion and Q&A with Dr Yvonne Quinn, Senior Clinical Psychologist)
Here’s the blurby bit…
“Sally + Stephen + 2 bottles of Malbec = Heidi. Heidi has only been around for six months, but she is already in charge… An unexpected pregnancy has changed Sally’s life. But at least she still gets to see her friends (in photos) and to wash her hair (but not condition it). Mum, mam, madre, mutter… whatever you go by, it’s the most difficult job you’ll ever have. This humorous one-woman show, written and performed by Gilly O Shea, is returning as part of First Fortnight 2019.”
C’mon, it’s the perfect excuse to get out of the house with/without the kids for an afternoon (sort of).